Friday, October 10, 2008

first impression is the last impression !! is it ??


To say the least, 'I have been a victim of this !!'
There have been some 'n' times when I have formed the first impression about someone / something , but later on, I have got simply amased at how wrong I was :-) ...

And today it has happened again :-)
That makes me wonder...

1) I donot judge people/things well !! [ boo - hoo ]
2) I judge them right, but its just that they change overtime and became complete opposite of what I thought they were ! !

Anyhow... I am really bad with this 1st impression thing !! And I have some friends who have told me that they too are mostly wrong with the 1st impressions :D :D [ yipee .. I aint alone :D ]


So, does the 1st impression really last or its jst that over a period of time with more interaction with the person our opinion changes ..or gets refined ( if you may say so) ??

11 comments:

freespirit said...

Well yeah, agreed first impressions are mostly not the right ones. But you know what I've noticed? That they stay on forever. And even if your ideas about a person might change drastically, that first idea you had, lingers around and surfaces unknowingly many many times.

@ditya..! said...

Hmm...very true , but cant we avoid making first impressions..???
Why do we need to entrench a strong perception of a person in the first meeting itself?....so strong that it becomes very difficult and painful to change it afterwards

Maybe we should have a general idea about the person in the first meeting but don't just blindly believe in it...
Let the impression/idea build over a period of time (as and when we keep meeting the person more and more)
It will improve our strike rate of identifying ppl correctly...

NOTE: I say improving the strike rate cos 100% is never possible ..:-)) )

U No Hoo said...

Oye, is topic pe I was going to write too. Tune kaise likh kiya? :)

And hope the post is not targetted towards me!

nb.. said...

@ freespirit --> totally agree...
it always stays in the mind :)

@ adi --> the 1st impression
doesnt really mean a strong
perception about someone.. most
likely its the general idea only.

@ uh no hoo --> hahahaa.... isko
bolte hain telepathy... u
thought abt it and i wrote about
it :) now has your 1st
impression abt me changed ?? :P

claytonia vices said...

I just learnt that it is ok to have a rough impression but not take it seriously and not act based on them because most of our first impressions are based on superficial things...

Unknown said...

Nice blog and contents. :-)

Neerz said...

its depend on the thinking of the individual, if you think the first stuff about somebdy and this thread make the another stuff, then another and another so the chances u would be wrong will be more. so take ur time to analyse ppl......

welll about blog
u got gud blog
keep writing
and be regular


Regards

~Neer~
neers4u@gmail.com
http://www.theneers.blogspot.com
http://neers-words.blogspot.com
http://neers-rhymes.blogspot.com
http://neers-bhopal.blogspot.com
http://neers-world.blogspot.com
http://neers-links.blogspot.com

nb.. said...

@claytonia vices - yea i learnt
tht too :) hope we are right the
next time we form an impression!

@jadu - thanks for reading :)

@neer - thanks a ton. will try to
be regular here :-)

Sudripta said...

That's right.. ur impression gets refined over a period of time..
I guess everyone faces this situation in life as they grow-up. But u know what i think, do we at all need to form "impressions" or "judgments" about a someone; I mean what's the need for it..Cant we simply give back what we get, as in if some1's gud to us, we in turn r gud to them; if some1's bad, give them back even that ..
But yes, we should interact more and more and be observant of the other persons ways, so that we know what they like what they are comfortable with, wht's kind of humor he enjoys and is comfortable with,etc, etc.;by this we can ensure that we always enjoy each others company; basically its about matching our frequency to others (not that u shud try to do that always; and if u cant do that better dont indulge too much with such ppl) ..But I think we shud never ever try to build an final impression on some1's personality (coz it keeps evolving continuously, certain good/bad personality traits wear off with time, so traits might develop with time). Its important to bear in mind that the same person may respond differently to the same stimulus in different situations ..
Well..not sure I have confused yu guys too much ..but just wrote as it popped out of my mind .. :P

mathew said...

I agree that first impressions might be wrong..but at the same time it still lingers somewhere...just like you might be able to forgive someone..but not forget it...

nb.. said...

@Sudripta -
thanks for writing in.. nah wasnt really confusing.. jst that at one point i got puzzled if it was a comment or a post in itself ;)

@mathew -
yea i agree... it always lingers in the mind :) how much ever wrong it might be. thanks for visiting!